Payday-the epitome of non-chocolate candy bars (plus 1 point for using a SAT vocabulary word in a sentence please, thank you). It is actually the only non-chocolate candy bar I can think of.
Therefore, it deserves its very on clean-copy cat version.
Most recipes using dates use a type of dates called Medjool dates. I can’t really get my hand on those, so I use a different type called Desert Valley Dates. They are not as moist and soft as Medjool, but soaking them in hot water for half an hour makes them perfect to use.
Now, the last words you would expect to hear from a health food blogger: go eat some candy!
PayDay Clean Copycat Bars
- 10 Medjool Dates or 20 dates (pitted and whole) of any other type soaked in hot water for at least 30 minutes
- 1 tsp vanilla
- dash of sea salt
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- anywhere from 1-2 cups of roasted peanuts
- Place the dates, vanilla, sea salt, and peanut butter in a food processor and process until it becomes a paste.
- Place the paste in a bowl lined with saran wrap, cover it with saran wrap, and place it in the fridge for about half an hour-this makes things a little less sticky and messy when it comes to forming the bars (just a little bit)
- Shape the date caramel into bars- I got about 4 half sized PayDay Bars with these measurements. Then roll in toasted peanuts, pressing down to ensure the peanuts stick to the caramel.
- Place bars on parchment paper and back into the fridge to harden for at last 30 minutes before serving. Afterwards, these can be stored in the fridge, or the freezer if you prefer a more solid bar.
Oh and an announcement: posts may be delayed for the next two weeks and my sight may be temporarily unavailable because I’m working on something big. *winks and backs into darkness*